Nhau Nhau Pho Bar
Last update: May-08-2019
Nhau Nhau Happy Hour Details Type of Happy Hour:
- Saigon Special Beer: 55,000 VND/bottle
- Coconut Worm Shot: 55,000 VND/glass
- Kanpai: 195,000 VND/bottle (300ml)
- Pho Bullshot: 125,000 VND/glass
- Tra Da: 125,000 VND/glass
- Matua: 125,000 VND/glass
- Louis Jadot: 125,000 VND/glass
- Anan Chips: 30,000 VND
- Crispy Silken Tofu: 75,000 VND
- Grilled Calamari: 95,000 VND
- Roast Duck Da Lat Pizza: 95,000 VND
Days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Nhau Nhau is located in the Anan Kitchen & Bar building on the 2nd floor, overlooking the market below. This dining-bar space is small but has a very intimate feel, seating just 18. The interior design and drink/food is a re-imagination of the traditional Vietnamese drinking and eating style where friends gather to catch up and enjoy good times over drinks. Even the tables and bar stools have been designed to accentuate a close-quarter street style ambiance, just without the small plastic chairs and tables. These traditionally drinking nhau places on the street corners all over Vietnam are where people are eating shredded squid, snails, peanuts with their rice wine or bia hoi. So Nha Nhau is a modern take on this in a much more upscale and comfortable setting.
On the drinking side everyone should be able to find something to suit their thirst, including bia hoi (basically a Vietnamese version of craft beer), Vietnamese style sake, wine, Vietnamese spirits, shots, tropical cocktails, as well as some more interesting options like the “pho Bullshot” with its pho broth ingredient, and the “Phojito” that uses a rice spirit rather than rum. Spirits have been sourced from all over Vietnam, including brown rice spirits from Binh Dinh, Hue Sochu and Son Tinh rice spirits.
In keeping with the re-imagining motif, Nhau Nhau has its own take on pho and banh mi dishes, including truffle pho (with wagyu beef), duck pho, Wagyu beef banh mi and foie gras banh mi. The wild variety is also on display with the Escargot Dalat Pizza that uses cheese from the Vietnamese highlands and is topped with chewy snails. The four and seven course tasting menus (with their paired wines option) are probably the best way to get a true idea of what Nhau Nhau is all about.
Make a reservation and get on or close to the balcony to overlook one of District 1’s last wet markets.
Hints & Warnings
- Try the lobster pho, it's pricy at 375,000 VND but delicious (lobster tail, crab, tofu, tomato, dill and noodles)
- The coconut worm shot - a glass of rum and coconut cream, with a skewer on top
- If you're feeling really daring try the foetus-egg shot (a fertilised quail egg and tamarind)
- For dessert - The Marshmallow and Chocolate - peanut butter, coconut, rice cracker and tropical fruits
The amenititesgood whisky
It’s a great place for
- bringing an out-of-towner
- taking a date